These statistics are derived from
Merchant Fleets - White Star Line by Duncan Haws, Starling Press Ltd 1990.
Gross Tonnage - 9,302 tons
Dimensions - 140.36 x 17.78m (460.5 x 58.3ft)
Number of funnels - 1
Number of masts - 2
Construction - Steel
Propulsion - Twin screw
Engines - Four steam turbines
Service speed - 14 knots
Builder - Harland & Wolff, Belfast
Launch date - 18 December 1917
Passenger accommodation - 1,250 3rd classDetails of Career The Vedic was originally planned by the International Mercantile Marine for emigrant work in Europe. It was not launched, however, until 18 December 1917. The hull was modified at the construction stage for trooping. It also had a small funnel, hinged mast and derricks. On 28 June 1918 it underwent trials on the Clyde and on 11 July it made its maiden voyage, from Belfast to Boston via the Clyde. On 28 December it made its first sailing for White Star from Glasgow to Boston. During September 1919 the ship was used for the repatriation of British troops from Northern Russia, where their presence had been trying to stem the tide of revolution. On 19 September it went aground on the Orkneys but managed to free itself safely. In 1920 the ship was refitted at Middlesbrough and then placed on the Liverpool-Canada emigrant route. During the winter of 1921 it served the Liverpool-Halifax-Portland route and used New York as the summer terminus for emigrants. On 17 May 1922 it operated in conjunction with the Poland on a route that sailed from Bremen to Montreal, via Southampton, Cherbourg and Quebec.
In 1925 it was refitted by Harland & Wolff for the Liverpool-Australia migrant service of the White Star-Aberdeen and Blue Funnel joint service. It made its first sailing on this route on 31 October. Later it was largely used by the Salvation Army on charter and flew their flag alongside White Star's. On 26 February 1930 it was laid up at Milford Haven. By July 1934 it had been deemed surplus to the needs at the time of the Cunard-White Star merger. It was sold and scrapped at Rosyth on the Firth of Forth.